Archive for May, 2014
For governments, companies, and even individuals, the security of computer data, and secure data destruction, has become a critical concern today. Even the most sophisticated among us tend to believe that simply hitting the “delete” button will do the trick. Unfortunately that is not the case. Simply because you delete and item, or certain information, does not mean that it has been permanently destroyed.
Companies and individuals store data everywhere today. Things are not so simple anymore. Not only is data stored in a desktop computer but also in a laptop, a tablet and a cell phone just to name a few. Again, many are under the delusion that simply deleting an item and/or sending it to their recycle bin eliminates that data forever.
Nothing could be further from the truth. All that really does is change the indexing of the data you have in storage. It’s sort of like deleting the name of the newspaper you were reading and leaving behind all of the newspaper’s contents behind. Sure, you think the New York Times is gone. But all that’s gone is the name. The entire edition of the paper got left behind for a trained professional to read. Truly secure data destruction tends to be more sophisticated, and trickier, than that.
You cannot leave your precious company or personal data out in the open where your company, or you, may be compromised. The recovery of data has become so sophisticated that data can be recovered even from seemingly destroyed hard drives. The technology, the software, and the forensics available today are daunting to anyone, or any company, that is seeking to destroy highly sensitive data once and for all.
Secure data destruction is a vital key and link to your continued survival as a company, and often times, as an individual. Don’t leave its proper destruction to amateurs or even yourself. Secure data destruction needs to be handled by trained and experienced professional who can assure you that your sensitive data is truly gone forever.
So, what to do with that old cell phone or computer? Looking to upgrade your television? Electronics recycling can be a win-win situation for everyone. The dangers posed by improper disposal of electronics can be avoided. You are left with peace of mind, and the Earth will thank you for not adding to the tipping of her delicate balance.
The world of electronics moves so quickly today that is can become a fill time job just trying to keep up with it all. Electronics have become smaller and faster and as soon as you upgrade your phone, laptop or tablet, they may be already obsolete.
Electronics recycling is the answer you are looking for. Not only will they be properly disposed of by an electronics recycling professional but they might actually be able to rescue it and pass it along to someone who could really use a computer, cell phone or tablet.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), over 400 million electronic devices are tossed out each and every year. That’s right – 400 MILLION.
Out of this unbelievable number, the EPA has estimated that less than 20% of it is recycled. What happens to the other 80%? It gets dropped off at landfills where its poisons and toxins leek into the earth and the air. The result of all this? More air pollution, especially plastic and lead, and a dangerous increase in toxins and poisons getting into the nation’s drinking water supplies.
So, in the long run, electronics recycling is something you can do that will make a tremendous difference in the health of the planet as well as maybe making a difference in someone’s life. Just remember to get in touch with an electronics recycling professional. They are highly trained and know what they are doing. The proper disposal or recycling of your electronics is far too important to be left to chance.
Most people nowadays are aware of what constitutes “e-waste” and (to varying degrees) the harm that is caused by improper disposal of such. They are also aware of some of the benefits that are derived from recycling old electronics.
Electronic products are made from valuable resources and highly engineered materials, including metals, plastics, and glass, all of which require energy to mine and manufacture them. Reusing and recycling consumer electronics conserves our natural resources and avoids air and water pollution, as well as greenhouse gas emissions that are caused by manufacturing virgin materials.
Did the latter example surprise you? Maybe not the basic concept, but the actual physical numbers involved? If so, you are not alone. It is one of the lesser-known facts about e-waste recycling, but another great reason to manage your e-waste responsibly.
Thank you for being responsible!
The BoxQ crew