How safe is your business data?
Not only is your business your livelihood, but your employees also depend on you as well for their security and for the life of their loved ones. Securing you business data needs to be a major priority for your business as does proper secure data destruction protocols.
- Your business data is the very lifeblood of any business yet so many business owners are ignorant with regard to its overall protection. What if your server were hacked? What if your server’s hard drive crashed? What if there is a natural disaster that destroys everything? Can your business survive? Are you prepared to be up and running soon after a disaster?
- Keep your main server in an isolated area of your business. Don’t make it easy for anyone to simply dismantle the server and make a run for it with your hard drive. Your hard drive should be backed up on a regular schedule and the back up data needs to be stored in a safe off site facility. Also, your hard drive needs to be regularly swapped out for a new one and secure data destruction be properly performed on the old one. This will keep you several steps ahead of the bad guys and the natural disasters.
- You must limit who has access to your business data. Too many small businesses allow just about anyone to see and handle their secure data. There can be only a chosen few, if any at all, who can gain regular access to your company’s secure data.
- All of your important documentation related to your business must be safe and located away from the business. The storage facility or containers you use must be both fire proof and water proof.
- Finally, as electronics become obsolete, or an employee leaves, secure data destruction is a must. This can’t be left to you or other amateurs. You need a company that specializes in secure data destruction to ensure that previous information is, indeed, destroyed. Keeping your data safe and secure means keeping your company, and those who depend on you, safe and secure.